Tuesday, November 6, 2012

When the saints come marching in

On the Feast of All Saints I had the opportunity to preach the homily for the school Mass.   I saw one of the classes dressed up as saints so I was happy to see that.  I planned on asking which saints they were.   I started the homily asking who dressed up a saint for trick or treat.   One very eager young boy's hand shot up, so I was greatly encouraged.    His answer: Drew Brees.  Yes indeed, a saint, a New Orleans Saint football player. :) 

Lesson learned on asking questions - you never know what answer you'll get.  Next year I know to add a qualifier to the question.   Maybe I can ask if anyone dressed up as a canonized saint.  That may result in more questions like, "Does that mean the saint was shot by a cannon"?   A better question may be, "Did anyone dress up as a saint who is not a football player".  I still think that will be a little risky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to post comments, but in doing so please use Christian charity. I am open to comments with opposing view points, but I reserve right as to whether to approve the posting or not.