Saturday, September 22, 2012

Why Catholic women use contraception & what the Church says on this

I read an interesting article on the Marriage and Family section on the Catholic Exchange web site today, Why Catholic Women Use Contraception.   One point of interest in the article was that most women who attend Mass regularly learn about church teachings mainly from the homily.   I found this point interesting from the perspective as a parent who has had my kids attend Mass with me regularly from the time they were infants.  Is contraception something that I would want the priest or deacon preaching on at a Sunday Mass with my children present?   Usually my wife and I discuss the homily with our kids after Mass and sometimes they would ask about what was discussed with questions themselves.  Is the topic of contraception something I would want to be discussing with a five-year-old child?   I can somewhat relate to reluctance of this being preached.  There is the lack of support of this teaching by many Catholics and also is it an appropriate subject to be preaching at in respect to families attending with children.   There is plentiful information available on what the Church teaching is and what the acceptable method of family planning is, NFP (Natural Family Planning), through books, CD’s, videos, website, podcasts, and programs at the parish and archdiocesan level.  A web resource that is a good starting place is the For Your Marriage web site in the section What does the Church say about contraception.  Marriage preparation also includes information for couples on this as well and resources are provided to learn about Church teaching and NFP.  Why aren’t couples taking the time to learn about Church teaching on contraception and NFP on their own, rather than relying on homilies to learn about church teaching?  Is it because they just accept what the culture says about contraception?  Do couples really want to hear about this preached at Mass in the presence of their families?  I’d be interested in hearing some comments on what people think on this matter.    If you wish to remain anonymous on your response please indicate so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to post comments, but in doing so please use Christian charity. I am open to comments with opposing view points, but I reserve right as to whether to approve the posting or not.