Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Homily for Twenty-fourth Sunday Cycle A, 9/13/26 - We can only forgive like God if we rely on him to help.

         Today we hear in our readings about the mercy and compassion of God in forgiving us. To forgive others who have harmed us is to be like God and this is not easy. Forgiveness is one of the greatest gifts God had given us. He initiates forgiveness. We can choose to humbly ask for and accept his forgiveness.  In doing so it helps us to be like him and extend His mercy to others. I’d like to share a few stories about how forgiveness can impact our lives.

My first memory about compassion and forgiveness was when I was young boy. Does anyone here remember the toy airplanes made of balsa wood we used to get as kids? These toy airplanes didn’t always fly very well, but I had one that just really soared to great heights.  I wanted to show off my airplane, so I went across the street to play with my friend to show how high it could fly. I tossed it up in the air and a tailwind caused it to soar high enough to land on the second story roof of our neighbor’s house.  It was barely stuck, with half of it hanging over the edge of the roof’s gutter. A thought came to me that if I could throw a rock at the airplane, it would come tumbling back to the ground. Well, the first two rocks landed very close to the airplane and bounced off the roof. With precision aim I launched a third rock at the airplane and propelled it directly into the window just below the airplane & smashed it to smithereens. Struck with fear, I started running away as fast as I could to hide from being caught for this serious offence. After about 15 minutes my mom and her neighbor finally found me hiding in the bushes behind the neighbor’s house profusely sobbing. They were both so glad they found me and asked me what was wrong. Fearing the worst I fessed up that I had broken the window trying to rescue my toy airplane and said I was sorry for breaking the window. I thought for sure I was going to be severely punished, but that was not the case. My neighbor gave me a big hug and said she forgave me for breaking the window.  She told me her husband would be able to fix it.  Her compassionate response relieved my fears. I had a few extras chores assigned to me at home to make up for the broken window, but these helped me to appreciate my neighbor be so forgiving.

As an adult, I experienced an incident with several family members, who seriously hurt me and my immediate family. My initial response was to severely limit any interaction with these family members, to prevent any further harm from occurring.   This was needed for the safety of me and my family. But the one thing that I did not do, was to forgive the parties who had offended me. I held on to the anger from this experience, replaying the incident in my mind over a long period of time, and it had a negative effect on me. I was letting this incident create a wedge between myself and God, because I was not extending forgiveness.  My prayer life and relationship with God really suffered consequently. Some words from Sirach really resonated with me from this experience:

“Forgive your neighbor’s injustice; then when you pray, your own sins will be forgiven. 

Could anyone nourish anger against another and expect healing from the Lord?”

I was nourishing my anger, feeding it with constant attention. By not forgiving others who had hurt me, I was hurting myself in letting it consume me.  The only way I was able to forgive was to ask the Lord for his help. The ways of the world told me I was justified in withholding forgiveness, because I was harmed by another. But through grace of the Holy Spirit, I was able to forgive others in my heart, and it finally gave me peace and renewed my relationship with God.  I really learned about the need about to forgive others through this experience.

        There was an article in this week’s Criterion, the Archdiocese weekly newspaper, about Jack Grandcolas, who lost his wife, Lauren and their unborn child in the plane that crashed in Shanksville, PA in the September 11 attacks 25 years ago. Jack really struggled with how a merciful God could allow his wife and child to be taken from him. He really questioned God and the plan he had for him since the 9/11 incident.  A few years after the incident, Jack attended a U2 concert and was a big fan of the lead singer Bono. Bono, who was raised by a Catholic father & a Protestant mother, and later in life developed a deep faith in God and Christ. Jack unexpectantly met Bono after the show and told him, “I worry that I may have screwed up in this life and mortgaged my opportunity to see my wife again” Bono’s response to Jack moved him, “You’ll see her again. I know it.  We all screw up in life.  That’s why God grants us forgiveness.  It’s his most powerful gift. Bono’s words changed Jack and his faith.  Jack wrote, “The night of the concert was a tribute to Lauren, but in a very important way it set me free, allowing me to be more forgiving of myself and my belief in God’s mercy.” This was a good example that we also need to forgive ourselves for the times we have hurt others and turned from God. 

In the Gospel today Peter asks Jesus if forgiving seven times is enough. Jesus responds, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. Jesus is telling Peter; to be like God,


our mercy should have no limits. The parable that Jesus told us about the servant who was forgiven but did not forgive the servant who owed him much less, reminds us that our mercy needs like the mercy God extends to us. How can we become loving, compassionate, and merciful like God? On our own, it’s impossible. But, by relying on God to help us, we can become forgiving like him.

Each time we come Mass, we have a reminder of the forgiveness that God offers each of us. At the beginning of Mass, we recall when we have failed to love God and our neighbor and to ask God for his forgiveness. We may recite a general confession, or we may ask for the Lord’s forgiveness by praying: Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy. After this the priest says, “May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life” At each Mass we call on God mercy, we listen to forgiveness he gives us, and with the grace of the sacraments it helps us to forgive others as He has us. As we continue with the Eucharist, pray that the grace to help us to change our hearts to be loving, merciful and compassion as He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to post comments, but in doing so please use Christian charity. I am open to comments with opposing view points, but I reserve right as to whether to approve the posting or not.