Friday, December 7, 2012

My Year of Faith - Website and mobile app to help on your faith journey

I was listening to a Teresa Tomeo this morning on CatholicConnections program on Catholic Radio Indianapolis on the way into work today.  She was interviewing Bishop Kevin Rhoades from the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend, Indiana, discussing the unique ways the diocese is reaching out using new media communications during this Year of Faith.    They have created a website, My Year of Faith, which has a brief and information daily post on the Catholic faith.    Every day the reflection is something different.    Today the post is “Restoration from Exile” which gives some background on the exile that the people of Israel went through in the Old Testament writings.  Yesterday is was on St. Nicholas.  On Tuesday it was on an app for your mobile phone, Confession, to help with examination of conscience (I use this app and have purchased for my son to use on his iTouch).    In addition to the web site there is an app call My Year of Faith for your mobile phone as well.    The app is created by Little I Apps, the same people who created the Confessions app.   This looks like a great tool for folks on the go to keep up with and learn about their faith during the Year of Faith. Enjoy the website or app and have a blessed Advent!

3 comments:

  1. Deacon Ron
    I love all of the items available on websites, apps, radio shows etc. My question centers around the reliability of these sources. Is there a way, similar to Imprimaturs and Nihil Obstats, to tell if these new age resources pass the mustard so to speak?
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your question about Imprimaturs and Nihil Obstats. I have not heard about this for websites, apps, and radio shows, but it is a good question. I know one that I list on my email for work, One Bread One Body by Presentation ministries is a daily reflection that does have Rescript from Auxiliary Bishop of Archdiocese of Cincinnati. This is what the daily email lists:

      Rescript: In accord with the "Code of Canon Law", I hereby grant my permission to publish "One Bread, One Body" covering the period from December 1, 2012 through January 31, 2013 ?Most Reverend Joseph R. Binzer, Auxiliary Bishop, Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, June 27, 2012

      In regards to the recent post on "My Year of Faith" it has the Bishop of Fort Wayne with endorsement and it is an initiative of the Diocese. Items that I post would be those that I feel would be reliable sources of information. I get a lot of ideas from listening to Catholic Radio Indy, which is an EWTN affiliate. I also get ideas from twitter feeds I follow such as Bishop Coyne, Brandon Vaught (Author of the Church and New Media), and Catholic News service. I will check into whether this is something commonly done as sources being reliable. I know there are some things on the web that may be suspect as being reliable. If you run across something that is suspect you may want to look for something from a Diocese on the website. You could also ask one of the Deacons or priests to take a look to see what they think.

      Delete
    2. In re-reading the question there is one comment I want to add is that I would call these "new media" resources rather than "new age" resources. The term "new age" is referenced quite often to a movement of those who are "spiritual" but not affiliated with a specific organized religion and quite often get into some things that are not of a Christian foundation. I know that you meant "new media", but wanted to clarify for others who may read the post. Thanks and God bless.

      Delete

You are welcome to post comments, but in doing so please use Christian charity. I am open to comments with opposing view points, but I reserve right as to whether to approve the posting or not.